Soft skills are the sum of personal qualities, habits, attitudes and social graces that make someone a good employee and compatible co-worker. Unlike hard skills, which refer to a certain type of task, soft skills are broadly applicable.
- Interpersonal abilities:
- Good manners.
- Ability to teach.
- Works well with diversity.
- Personal Attributes:
- Sense of humor.
- Time management.
- Common Sense.
It’s usually said that hard skills can get you an interview,
however you need soft skills to get (and keep!) the job.
Today we are living in a society that measures our intelligence through our quantification, you complete the assignments, come to class, learn the concepts, and you get an “A”.
In the workplace, with the use of soft skills (Emotional Intelligence) than your actual knowledge about a particular situation, customers appreciate a “willingness to help” or the fact that you “listened to my complaint.”
So, what will make you stand out??
GOOD SOFT SKILLS….
Will assist you STAND OUT in a crowd.
To do so there are almost 60 basic skills.
Do you have these skills?
Skill #1: Courtesy
- Good Manners.
- Considerate Behavior.
- Being kind & empathetic.
- Thank you notes!
Skill #2: Flexibility
- The ability to adapt to new things quickly.
- The ability to change or be changed according to situations or circumstances.
Skill #3: Team Skills
- Do you know how to work effectively in groups?
- Do you listen effectively?
- Do you perceive the worth of various thought?
Skill #4: Eye Contact
- Looking directly into the eyes of somebody.
Skill #5: Positive Work Ethic & Attitude
- If you’ve got an excellent work ethic however a negative perspective, which one do you think will trump the other?
- Belief within the ethical price of labor.
Skill #6: Interpersonal Skills & Personal Chemistry
- Interpersonal Defines as the relations between persons.
- Personal Chemistry: Make others wish to be with you?
Skill #7: Common Sense
- Good judgment – sound sensible judgment supported on “experience” instead of theory.
Skill #8: Good Personal Appearance
- Visual aspect of a person – with regards to personal cleanness and neatness of clothing.
Skill #9: Understanding What the World is About (What’s going on in the News?)
- Know what’s going on.
- Even Google News is better than no news.
- Get connected, know what others are doing. Subscribe to Inc. or Fast Company.
- Track a few stocks.
Skill #10: Willingness to take instruction and responsibility
- Do you know someone who always blames others?
- Do you know someone who thinks he/she already knows all the answers?
Skill #11: Able to Relate to co-workers in a close environment
- Connection with people or things.
- Water cooler talk.
- Business retreats.
- Team Activities.
Skill #12: Not expect to be promoted within the first six months
- “This is just a steppingstone for me”.
Skill #13: Communication skills with public, fellow employees, supervisors, and customers
- Are you a good listener?
- How many of you have had a good boss?
- Telephone line…don’t count on it working!
- Networking within your business? How?
One of the most difficult things to teach
And…the most common reason for not hiring, not promoting, & poor performance evaluation
Pick one skill…work on it…. PRACTICE!